Re: resuspension factors

BRZ, grinding, machining, and welding do not "re-suspend" contaminated

material.  Dispersion of contaminants during welding and grinding are due to

the physical forces imparted on the contaminants by the process being used.

Most are carried by the materials removed/expelled by the process.  Having

worked around welding, machining, and grinding operations, and viewed areas

after several years of operations, it is clear that most material plate out

on any surface (vertical and horizontal) close  to the operation (10-25 foot

radius in all directions).  Most grinding operations created particles of

varying size but most are non-respirable.  Machining, except for skim

cutting and polishing, generally produce heavy shavings that deposit close

to the machine, and are also normally covered in cutting oil.  The cutting

oil also binds the contaminations to the metal when heated during machining

operations, some is carried away by the fumes but is of minor significance.

Welding of a metal with fixed surface contamination (I assume that removable

contaminants will be removed before starting the process) will cause

airborne contamination, but is easily controlled local ventilation.  Plasma

or acetylene cutting of contamination metal creates more airborne

contamination that the other operations due to the large area of heat

application and vaporization of the surface materials.  Any operation that

would disperse contaminants during a process should be evaluated for the use

of containments and ventilation to control the spread of contaminants.

I once reviewed the controls and results of plasma cutting of old spent fuel

pool components.  I was amazed at the low spread of contaminants during the

process.  The components were hydrolazed prior to cutting.

H. Dean Chaney, CHP

URS Corp. Sacramento, CA

(916) 679-2086

"In science there is only physics; everything else is stamp collecting."

                                      --Ernest Rutherford