AW: more on DU

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu [mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Jacobus, John (NIH/OD/ORS)
Gesendet: Dienstag, 17. Dezember 2002 00:12
An: 'Charles Picco'; Norman Cohen; Daveandrewswxm1@AOL.COM
Cc: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Betreff: RE: more on DU

Interesting.  I have never heard of enriched depleted uranium.  But it is not unusual on this list to make up things as people go along.

You should note that there is a limiting factor for soluble uranium based on it chemical toxicity of 10 mgm/wk.  Have you figured that into your calculations?

Finally, as food for thought, the article states "In Bratunac alone in the last four years 500 of the 5000 Hadzici refugees had died."  What did they die from?  Cancer?  Malnutrition? Plague?
-- John

John and RADSAFErs,

This story is along with the stories about the Chernobyl accident - 50 deaths, 500 deaths, tens of thousands of deaths, hundreds of thousand deaths. (So far I have not heard about millions of deaths, but probably we have to wait for some time.)

I am at home with a flue, but as soon as I return to my office I will consult the original report of the UN delegation on their mission to former Yugoslavia, which I received from Gustav Akerblom, who was to my knowledge the leader of that group. As far as I remember - and I would remember any other statements! - this delegation has never claimed enhanced cancer rates. They have found uranium (of course!!!), they might even have pointed out, that it might reach ground water, but everything else seems to be fiction of this Czech author.

I will return with my news. As far as I remember this report is available on the net, so I will provide everybody on RADSAFE with the link so you can make up your own mind. I am well aware, that one or the other (Norman Cohen for instance) follows the opinion "I have made up my mind, don't disturb me with facts!".

Best regards to everybody,

Franz