Re: Dirty bombs(more on the LNT)

I've been deeply into heated arguments that I thought I was winning overwhelmingly by my flawless use of deductive argument.......only to learn that logical deduction is a foreign language spoken only by a small and insignificant minority (and my arguments had not even been heard, much less accepted)!!   Ed
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: Dirty bombs(more on the LNT)

We had an experience recently that sheds a new light on public "radiophobia" or whatever one wants to call the prevalent anti-nuclear sentiments.  A clerk in a local bookstore, getting into a very minor controversy about something nuclear, allowed as how "we were entitled to our opinions and she was entitled to hers."  In other words, she, and I'm sure many others, think that being anti-nuke is purely a matter of opinion or preference, like being a Democrat rather than a Republican.  A similar argument is made by "creationists."

This is not fear, or lack of trust, or lack of understanding.  It is sort of "I'll think what I want to think, regardless of external factual evidence."  I believe this is the battle we fight , just as Clarence Darrow fought at the Tennessee "Monkey Trial" and much like the battles fought over school integration.

I am somewhat at a loss as to how one addresses this, except by pointing otu that adhering to an opinion that is contradicted by evidence is ultimately cotnrary to the public welfare.

Ruth
Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com