Re: Not using LNT to calculate risk does not mean there is no risk.

Ruth,

I don't think the general public thinks that way.

Perhaps it's a lack of control. When I'm driving, I have the perception of being in control...although obviously not of the oncoming drunk in my lane.

I still think that a lot of the issue of concern gets back to who's in charge, what are the safeguards.

TMI and Chornobyl both had human factors involved. There certainly was a degree of "don't tell me any news if it's bad news" or something like that apparently going on at the near miss LOCA at Davis-Besse...

There is a lot that can be done to help people understand, I think. However, the human factor and worst-case-scenario failure modes are things that cause people to be concerned.

Remember, Wasserman's book (Killing our Own) is still out there on the Net (he thought it important enough that it stay in print that he gave the book for free downloading) telling people that the official TMI figures are way off and there is proof in New England of increased health risks (I don't recall the exact citation) from TMI as New England was downwind.

See my earlier post about the comparative study--oh, and by the way, the comparison summary of the study should be in one or two page tables <smile>. Digestible by the normal human being.

Cheers,

Richard