AW: Nucwaste -Dinner Party and Pellegrino

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von Stewart Farber

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 25. Dezember 2002 00:58

An: Jerry Cohen; Radsafe

Betreff: Re: Nucwaste -Dinner Party and Pellegrino

Jerry:

Where did you see this article?

As an interesting proposed radioactive offering at the dinner party, the

Newmans

should serve a variety of domestic and imported commercial mineral waters,

all of

which contain elevated levels of radium-226.

Some years ago  in a 1979 study, I funded a study of the Ra-226 and Ra-228

levels

of about 18 popular mineral waters [done using beta gamma coincidence

counting

thus getting some very good data].  I found that most of these mineral

waters

[other than Perrier which has salt levels so low it doesn't even meet US

standards for a "mineral water" and should not be labelled as such thus also

having very low levels of Ra-226] had Ra-226 levels high enough such that

drinking the mineral water delivered more radiation dose than drinking the

discharge water from the average nuclear plant.

So drinking Vichy water and lime, or Pellegrino and lime is more of a

radiation

risk than the discharge of radioactivity from a nuclear power plant [and

certainly much more than nuclear waste disposal]

For your information:

There have been a lot of different studies conducted not only in Europe

about radioactivity of drinking and mineral water. The European Union has

issued a directive about drinking water, which contains also regulations

about the radioactivity. I personally have done quite a lot of measurements

on radioactivity in drinking water and mineral water. Your statement that

mineral waters contain elevated concentrations of radium is not correct - it

may be, but it is not the rule! Your comment about Perrier is correct!

Unfortunately the new definition in the European Union of "Natural Mineral

Water" has changed and is not any more related to mineral content, but

simply to the fact that it originates from the ground..... In Germany

recently a large and comprehensive survey on radioactivity in drinking water

and mineral water was finished. So you can be assured, that the question of

radioactivity in drinking water - including doses to the population - has

been addressed in Europe. The problem of radon in water has been

investigated since decades in Scandinavia, because it might really pose a

not negligible problem (for some on RADSAFE a source of beneficial health

effects....).

At the time I conducted this study, the utility I was working for refused to

allow me to put out a press release and publicize the results because they

stated

they were "afraid they would get sued" by the mineral water companies [for

telling the truth apparently].

--------------------------------

A preliminary first study, financed by a TV station, on radioactivity of

drinking water in Germany resulted in a scandal, because the mineral water

companies were accused of poisoning the population and it is well

documented, that people came to supermarkets and dropped glass mineral water

bottles at the entrance.

Go figure. I tried to argue that a suit would be

the best thing that could ever happen since it would give us a chance to get

millions of dollars of free publicity for a radiation risk perspective issue

that

people could understand. However, such was not to be.

-----------------------------------

I was interviewed for a German TV station on this issue. I was able to avoid

all those suggestive questions of the interviewer about the terrible risks

etc. I tried a comparison to show, that the permissible levels for

radionuclides like Ra-226 and Ra-228 were because of their very high dose

factors extremely low, in order to show, that authorities were eager to

protect the population from radiation risks. I mentioned that they were much

lower than for plutonium - the effect was just the other way round -

plutonium is so well known, to be deadly, how deadly must radium be!

Don't count on the publics common sense!

Franz

>  With a radioactive entrée do you serve white wine or red?

Is there anybody aware, that wine contains tritium and C-14? I used it some

time ago to date the wine......