RE: TENORM in the State of WV

Gert,

NORM contamination in oil production consists primarily of Ra-226- and

Ra-228-bearing produced waters and radium-bearing precipitates that

accumulate in scale and sludges derived from those waters.  Produced waters

may contain up to a few thousand pCi/L of Ra-226. Ra-228 activity

concentrations are much less commonly measured, but often are equal to the

Ra-226 activities. The solids may contain up to several hundred thousand

pCi/g, but a few hundred to a few thousand pCi/g is most common.  Barite is

the primary mineral carrier for radium, although several other

radium-bearing minerals are known in scale and sludges.  In general, the

higher the TDS concentration of the produced water, the greater the

concentration of radium in solution.  Radium is more soluble under the

high-chloride, reducing conditions typical of produced waters, probably

because of chloride complexing with radium and the increased solubility of

barite.  Uranium and thorium are very insoluble in produced waters and

activities are <<1 pCi/L, thus radium is in gross disequilibrium with its

two parents.

In gas production (which is the dominant hydrocarbon production in West

Virginia), Pb-210 plateout from the decay of radon entrained in the natural

gas is the predominant form of NORM.  The plateout favors certain parts of

gas processing equipment, valves, elbows, filters, etc., basically any part

of the production mechanism where turbulence occurs and contact of the gas

stream with the equipment surfaces is increased.  Evidence suggests that

"wet" gas production has higher radon content because of the similarities in

gas properties between radon and some of the heavier gas fractions.  In the

late 1960s and early 1970s, concern over radon in natural gas lead to

surveys of the radon content of natural gas at end user points in the U.S.

and to look at indoor radon levels and doses where natural gas was being

used.  Radon activities in indoor air and resultant doses due to natural gas

use were generally found to be negligible (Barton and others, 1973).

The American Petroleum Institute's 1989 survey of NORM in U.S. oil and gas

production did not include any operations from West Virginia because of a

lack of operator participation, which was voluntary.  We have anecdotal

reports from oil company geologists that suggest that gas production

equipment in West Virginia can have high radioactivity.  Oil production in

the Appalachian Basin has resulted locally in substantial NORM contamination

which has been thoroughly documented in the Martha and Big Sinking Creek

fields in eastern Kentucky.  Other fields have been surveyed by the State of

Kentucky and elevated levels have been found in some areas. We surveyed oil

and gas production in some fields in northeastern Tennesee and found no NORM

associated with gas well heads and only modest NORM in oil production.

Because the uniformly high TDS and chloride concentrations in most

Appalachian Basin produced waters from western New York to southeastern

Kentucky, we suspect that NORM may be widespread, but experience suggests

that its occurrence will be spotty and dependent on local oil and gas

production conditions.

Based on its review of NORM in oil and gas production, the USEPA (1997,

unpublished) predicted that about 30 percent of U.S. operations will have

NORM levels of concern.

The NORM content of cuttings derived from drilling operations is generally

very minor, a few pCi/g of uranium and thorium combined in the vast majority

of rocks encountered in oil and gas basins.  Occasionally, intervals of

black shale may be encountered where U concentrations may be substantially

increased (to 100 ppm- about 30 pCi/g- in some cases).

Barite used in drilling muds has very low activities.

Jim Otton

U.S. Geological Survey

Energy Program