FW: Info on events

 Radsafe Folks --

Regarding the item below, years ago I read an article in the newspaper

(Chicago Tribune?) that was based on an interview with the young man who

was the victim. He was in his twenties at the time of the interview.

His father had repeatedly put a radiography source inside his pajamas up

against his crotch as he slept; this occurred over several years, from

(if memory serves) the time he was 9 or 10 on. The father did this for

reasons that are unclear, but it seemed to be because he was angry at

his wife and had a need to dominate his son to the point of crippling

him in terms of male functioning.

The boy had strange burns and lesions in the genital area and his

doctors were stumped as to why. Eventually some doctor who thought

outside the box realized what the cause was. The police were called,

etc., etc.

As the article made clear, the father was successful in his effort: the

young man was not only permanently sterile, but impotent as well, with

no real chance of recovery, ever. Still, he had gone on to college and

had friends. I forget what he did, but I seem to recall he was working

on or had completed a PhD or master's degree. He had married -- the

young woman knew all about his situation, but loved him enough to marry

him anyway.

There was a picture of him and his bride with the article. They looked

like attractive people and their quoted comments showed them to be nice

people. Still, they weren't smiling in the photo. I believe that they

agreed to be interviewed because they thought that others, especially

medical and police personnel, should understand that some parents are

truly sadistic and take child abuse to a toxic level undreamed of by

those who "merely" beat their children. One wonders how a person can

have a normal life after having an "anti-parent" like that, but the

young man was doing his best.

Janet Westbrook