Re: Specific Gamma Ray Constant for Ra-226

Hi:

The 0.825 R/hr at 1 meter per Ci is the classic gamma exposure from a Ci of Ra-

226 [in equilibrium with all the Ra-226 daughters] in a sealed source filtered by

0.5 mm Pt . In this case Ra-226 contributes only about 1.2% of all gamma rays

emitted, and at a lower average gamma energy than any of the other gamma rays

from the Ra-226 daughters.

The 2nd figure you give is just for the gamma exposure from a Ci of Ra-226 itself

with no daughter contribution to the gamma exposure rate.

Stewart Farber, MSPH