Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 10:32 PM
Subject: Re: EmergencyNet News

Dr. Rozental,

I was just commenting on the fact that in the U.S. the loss of radiological soucres also occur.  Even you will have to admit that the loss of the well logging guages do not approach the size of the sources you list below, which appear to be radiographic sources.  For one thing, in he first part of the article it says "The hand-held devices used to X-ray oil pipelines to check for cracks . . ." Later in the article it says "The material is used in the oil industry for wet-logging," which I assume should be "well-logging."  These are two different size sources.  The article does not state the activity of the source.

I certainly agree that there is a problem with the lack of control in Nigeria.

 "J. J. Rozental" <joseroze@netvision.net.il> wrote:

John,

There is not necessaraly that the stolen of the truck. Many accident, with
serious conseqquences are due the lost or abandon of sources. Recently there
were the following accidents with severe consequences:

1992 Xinzhou, China Lost of Co-60 source  3  Fatalities
1996 Gilan, Iran Ir-192 radiography 2 – 3 Gy (whole Body)
1999 Peru Lost of source Ir-192 radiography up to 100 Gy locally, leg
amputation (Ir-192, 26 Ci)
2000 Thailand Abandoned Co-60 (420 Ci)  3 fatalities
2000 Egypt Lost Ir-192 (20 Ci)    2 fatalities

Now,  in Nigeria and about 40% of IAEA Member States (50/134)% the
Regulatory Authorities have not basic infrastructure in radiation protection
and control of sources, diferent of USA and all Member States with good
infrastructure in radiation protection and control of sources.

Jose Julio Rozental
Israel