Re: Our problems are over!.

I do not remember what the U-234/U-238 is in sea water, but U forms complexes with Ca seawater, which explains the association with coral calcium.  Element like Th and Pr precipitate out of the water column because they do not form complexes.  Their removal is aided by phytoplanktonic fecal pellets and the rain of dead minute organisms to the ocean floor, so of which dissolve along the way.  The coral can be dated by looking at the radial distribution of various radionuclides and radionuclide ratios.  I do not remember which because it has been quite a while since I have kept up with the radiometric dating literature.

standard disclaimers apply.

Kjell Johansen

Point Beach Nuclear Plant

Two Rivers, WI