AW: Hazardous vs. Radioactive Materials

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von BERNARD L COHEN

Gesendet: Montag, 10. März 2003 16:41

An: BLHamrick@AOL.COM

Cc: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Betreff: Re: Hazardous vs. Radioactive Materials

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 BLHamrick@AOL.COM wrote:

> This may be slightly off-topic for this list, but I was wondering if

anyone

> knew of any specific hazardous materials (carcinogens) that are present in

> the natural background, as radioactive material is, and what the

"background"

> risk levels might be for those hazardous materials.

	The following is from Am. Council on Science and Health

publications:

. All plants contain toxic chemicals to protect them from their natural

enemies. Many of these chemicals can cause cancer , like nitrosamines in

beets, celery and lettuce; aflotoxin in peanuts, corn, and milk;

sterigmatocystin in salami, ham, and wheat; hydrozines in mushrooms; allyl

isothiocyanate in mustard, broccoli, and cabbage; safrole in pepper;

tannins in coffee, tea, and wines; psoralens in celery and parsley; ethyl

carbamate in bread, yogurt, beer, and wine; formaldehyde in fruits;

benzene in eggs; methylene chloride in fats; coumarin in candy; diacetyl

in coffee and butter; and flavonoids in fruits and vegetables. These are

nature's pesticides, and per quantity ingested, they are typically as

carcinogenic as man-made pesticides. But our food contains  10,000 times

as much of nature's pesticides as of man-made pesticides.

-------------------------

May I add cosmic radiation which according to my knowledge leads to a large

increase of skin cancer in people living in the high elevations of the

world. What about the many poisonous berries, mushrooms and plants in this

world? What about people living in Brazil and India on monazite sand - o.k.

I know the research and I know the result, that no additional cancers have

been observed, but according to traditional opinion people living there

should be affected by all kind of diseases, including cancerogenic and

heriditary effects.

Do you still dare to eat anything? Before I go to bed now, I'll drink a

glass of wine in order to reduce my life span by 0.2 seconds, or if hormesis

is true it might enhance it by five years.......

Best regards,

Franz