Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 1:28 AM
Subject: RE: Oxygen, Cancer, Longevity

Kai,

Oxygen is considered a modifying factor when looking at the biological effects of radiation. The presence of oxygen makes cells more sensitive to the effects of radiation exposure. A practical application of this is in radiation therapy of cancer patients. Since tumor cells are less well oxygenated, a larger dose is required to damage them than healthy tissue. As for altitude and radiation hormesis, I would think that the connection results from increased natural background radiation exposure. For example, people in Denver have higher average background exposures than people living in lower altitudes. There have been studies of people living in higher than average natural background areas (China) which have lead some to believe in radiation hormesis.

Toli Mikell