Technical Question

  I am working on a white paper for monitoring needs during an emergency. They use some SAIC portable portable monitors which can be easily transported to an event site.  Are you aware of any guidance for portal monitors used for this application?  They are considering the need to quickly monitor large populations, with their pets and hand carried items.  I have looked at NUREG-0654 FEMA-REP-1 which has some guidance and some other FEMA guidance, but they don't address the questions I have.  I have searched the web and am not finding much, but I seem to remember that INPO had some guidance for portal monitors; however, not for emergencies.  As you are aware, having a portal monitor that can detect 1 uCi of gamma emitters is much different than being able to detect that level of pure beta emitters.  Also, alpha emitters will have to be surveyed by hand-held instruments, so the use of instruments will have to be decided based on the type of release.