Downwind health issues from Nevada Test Site

At 10:07 AM 3/17/2003 -0500, Jim Hardeman wrote:

>Colleagues —

>The following article appeared this morning in the Salt Lake Tribune.

and included in part the statement:

"Nonetheless, the agency faced a hard sell at a meeting in a region of the

nation where downwinders, especially residents of Utah and Nevada, still

suffer harm done by three decades of atomic-weapons testing by the federal

government. "

The only "reference" I've seen to this is "Killing Our Own" and there the

press reports tell a horrific story. Is there much scientific evidence of

bad effects from this? The reason I'm asking is that the popular press, and

"Killing Our Own" in particular, have seemed to exaggerate these effects.

It would be useful to have more scientific facts about this.

Thanks!

Richard