Article in Salt Lake Tribune re: SNF casks

Regarding the SLC Tribune article about proposed full-scale testing of

spent fuel shipping casks, a key point to remember:  All opponents claim to

represent "the public."  The article quoted Mike Baughman, representing

Lincoln County, Nevada:

"I doubt you are going to win the public over."

In my experience speaking to the public ranging from outdoor festivals to

more formal facility tours, the public is usually won over.  The dedicated

opposition on the other hand, is never won over.  Fortunately, the

opposition is a tiny fraction of the population. Unfortunately, that

opposition industry is well-funded, very vocal and unaccountable, and has

the ear of both media and legislators.

My opinion only, of course.

Eric M. Goldin, CHP

<goldinem@songs.sce.com>