Russia's nuclear past haunts Urals villages

Russia's nuclear past haunts Urals villages

Australia says cleans up British A-bomb test site

Wild turkey causes scare at N.H. Seabrook nuke

====================================

Russia's nuclear past haunts Urals villages

MUSLYUMOVO, Russia, March 25 (Reuters) - Raya Khamatova's geese and

cattle are scattered along the banks of the Techa river, one of

Russia's most lethal nuclear dumping grounds.

In the hot months of the Urals summer her grandchildren pick berries

and paddle in the crystal clear waters. The plains around them are

among the most radioactive places on earth.

>From 1949 to 1956 the secret Mayak nuclear complex, 30 km (18 miles)

from Khamatova's village of Muslyumovo, dumped 76 million cubic

metres (2.68 billion cubic feet) of highly radioactive waste into the

river.

In 1957 an explosion at a Mayak reservoir, the worst Soviet nuclear

disaster until a reactor at the Chernobyl plant blew up in 1986,

showered radiation over the region on the threshold of Siberia.

The last big accident registered at Mayak was in 1967, when the

Karachai reservoir, used to store waste, partially evaporated after a

dry, hot summer. Strong winds dispersed clouds of radioactive dust

over a vast area.

Today, radiation levels along the river banks are still far above

natural levels. In parts, levels are more than 1,000 times above

global safety limits.

And there are no official plans to resettle Khamatova and her fellow

villagers.

The Soviet authorities took almost half a century to admit to the

accidents and dumping at the secret complex, though scores of workers

died of radiation exposure.

Some villagers were exposed to radiation comparable to doses

sustained by survivors of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atomic bombings

in World War Two. No one was told of the danger to which they had

been exposed.

"We noticed the water we drank began to taste strange," said 66-year-

old Khamatova over a cup of milky tea. Tonnes of chemical waste were

thrown in the river along with nuclear waste.

"But we thought there had been an accident upstream and that a car

was leaking fuel into the river."

Though forbidden from fishing and swimming in the river by the 1950s,

most villagers did not learn of the disasters until Soviet leader

Mikhail Gorbachev's policies of glasnost, or openness, in the late

1980s.

"HOW WILL WE SURVIVE?"

Khamatova, who suffers from severe arthritis and shooting pains from

the radioactive strontium-90 that has settled in her bones, receives

a monthly compensation payment of 40 roubles (just over a dollar).

She lives only metres (yards) from the Techa.

Several villages along the river were resettled in the 1950s, but the

mainly Tatar village of Muslyumovo was never moved. There are no

official plans to resettle it.

"They once spoke of building New Muslyumovo. But no one ever saw it,"

said Khamatova, who used to work in the village's general store. "We

get used to living in a village. If they move us, there will be no

gardens and how will we survive?"

Many residents turned down an offer to move to a village of several

five-storey blocks erected in the middle of nowhere further away from

the Techa because they would lose the state benefits they receive.

"People who get moved die anyway, alone," Khamatova said.

Muslyumovo is well aware of the cost of radiation. The death rate is

far higher than the birth rate in the village of 3,200. In 1950 to

1954, after the largest quantities of waste were dumped, more than

half the children born to village families had developmental

problems.

The remains of many of those who did not survive are kept in the

medical institute of the nearby city of Chelyabinsk, in large brown

jars of formaldehyde.

Officially, Mayak ceased to dump waste in the Techa after villagers

began to fall ill. But some historians say it stopped after traces of

the waste were found in the Atlantic Ocean -- literally leaking the

whereabouts of the Soviet plutonium plant.

HAUNTED BY NUCLEAR FALLOUT

Several km (miles) downstream from Muslyumovo was once the village of

Kurmanovo. It was fully resettled further inland.

But Novo (New) Kurmanovo, a village of neat wooden houses along a

dirt track, is still haunted by the Techa fallout.

Rafida Faizullina, who lived in Muslyumovo before Novo Kurmanovo,

suffers from anaemia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Her son Ramsis, 18, was born with hydrocephalus -- an abnormal

increase in the amount of fluid in the skull which leaves people with

unusually large heads.

"I lived here all my life and received huge doses of radiation. This

is what I got in return," said Faizullina, gesturing at her son.

"When I had him, they said it was because I had given birth late, at

37. But there are others like him."

Ramsis studies psychology in Chelyabinsk, 70 km (45 miles) away. But

he cannot manage the two hour journey into the city, some 1,400 km

(870 miles) southeast of Moscow, every day. The fatigue makes his

head spin.

In 1993 the Russian government officially acknowledged the accidents

at the plant, which produced plutonium for the Soviet Union's first

atom bomb in 1949. It then admitted some 450,000 people had been

affected by radiation.

But activists say little is being done to prevent  similar disasters

at Mayak. The plant has stocks which could produce a blast several

times more serious than Chernobyl.

Earlier this year the Russian nuclear safety body shut down Mayak's

plutonium reprocessing plant. It was again granted a license only

months later, on condition it limits its waste.

Officials denied there was any risk that Mayak's main dumping ground,

the Karachai reservoir, could overflow or permeate drinking water.

The radioactivity levels of the reservoir are 10 times higher than

those dispersed after the Chernobyl explosion.

"There is no risk at all, not even theoretically," said Evgeny

Ryzhkov, a spokesman for Mayak. "Our aim is to one day stop dumping

waste into Karachai and to cover it, maybe plant grass."

The problem, Ryzhkov said, is money. Russia's cash-starved nuclear

lobby pushed deputies two years ago to allow imports of foreign spent

nuclear fuel. The vast majority of the waste to be reprocessed will

be stored at Mayak.

Officials say the project will bring in much-needed cash.

But, in Novo Kurmanovo, Ramsis and his mother are sceptical.

"Money? Maybe," Faizullina said. "But they will get the money. And we

will suffer the consequences."

--------------------

Australia says cleans up British A-bomb test site

SYDNEY, March 25 (Reuters) - Australia said on Tuesday it had

achieved a world first in successfully cleaning up a former British

atomic bomb test site in the desert outback.

But environmental watchdog Greenpeace said it feared the government's

announcement of a successful clean-up was connected to its expected

decision on locating a low-level radioactive waste dump in South

Australia.

Despite years of controversy and even criticism from within the clean-

up programme, Science Minister Peter McGuaran said steps were being

taken to allow the site's traditional Aboriginal owners, the

Maralinga-Tjarutja people, to return to their land.

"It is the first time that a clean-up of a former nuclear test site

has been completed on this scale anywhere in the world," McGuaran

told parliament.

Between 1953 and 1957, Britain conducted seven atmospheric atomic

bomb tests over Maralinga, about 800 km (500 miles) northwest of

Adelaide in South Australia, and two at Emu, in the state's

northwest.

Official documents show thousands of British and Australian

servicemen were used as guinea pigs to test protective suits against

fallout.

>From 1955 to 1963, Britain also carried out hundreds of smaller tests

-- not all involving nuclear material.

Most of the deadly waste left at Maralinga was related to those

smaller trials and included plutonium 239, which remains radioactive

for up to 250,000 years.

The A$108 million ($64 million) rehabilitation involved the burial of

360,000 cubic metres (12.71 million cubic feet) of contaminated soil

in 10-15 metre (33 ft-50 ft) deep trenches. It also involved the

treatment of radioactive debris pits.

The project has been dogged by controversy and claims of inadequate

standards, including from a senior U.S. scientific adviser and an

Australian adviser who worked with it.

"The (government) can't do anything but be seen to build confidence

in the (nuclear safety) regulator and its ability to clean up

radioactive waste," said Greenpeace nuclear campaigner James

Courtney.  (US1-A$1.69)

------------------

Wild turkey causes scare at N.H. Seabrook nuke

NEW YORK, March 24 (Reuters) - Officials at the Seabrook nuclear

station in New Hampshire locked down the plant and called on the FBI

on Friday after a "potential intruder" appeared on an electronic

monitoring device on the plant grounds but did not curtail its

operations.

"Immediately, we locked down the plant and started doing an intensive

security sweep of the grounds multiple times. We called on the sea

coast security, the New Hampshire state police and the local Seabrook

police," said Al Griffith, a spokesman for the plant.

The plant, rated at 1,158 megawatts, continued to operate at full

power during the incident.

Since the Sept. 11 attacks, nuclear units in the United States have

been operating at a heightened level of security.

"With the war ongoing and the high threat advisory ... we have been

operating at a heightened level of security," Griffith said,

referring to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's "orange"

threat advisory, representing a "high risk of terrorist attacks."

During subsequent interviews with the FBI, one Seabrook security

personnel said he saw "a square-looking object cross his screen (used

to) monitor the protected area boundary."

Another member of the security, however, told the FBI he saw "a large

bird (probably a wild turkey) with approximately a four-foot wing

span fly across the road in front of him" while he was patrolling

outside the protected area in his vehicle.

The incident prompted the plant's operator, FPL Energy, to declare an

unusual event on Friday, the lowest of four emergency classifications

established by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) for nuclear

power plants.

In a report to the NRC on Saturday, which lifted the unusual event,

FPL Energy noted the sighting of the turkey "coincided with the

location and time the security operator saw the image on his screen."

FPL Energy operates the Seabrook station, located about 13 miles

south of Portsmouth, New Hampshire on the Atlantic Coast, for its

parent FPL Group Inc. <FPL.N> of Juno Beach, Florida, which owns a

majority of the station.

"This event shows the overall effectiveness of the security at the

station. The intrusion detection system works and detects any type of

movement. Everyone responded quickly. This event turned out to be a

false alarm, but we're better safe than sorry," Griffith said.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/