From: John Jacobus [mailto:crispy_bird@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 9:36 AM
To: Ted Rockwell
Subject: RE: ALARA

Ted,

Thanks for the review.  I still think that ALARA is probably a good management to hold down cost and improve work practices, but from what you say, it probably is not a useful for holding down insignificant doses.

 Ted Rockwell <tedrock@CPCUG.ORG> wrote:

Jerry et al:

Several people asked about the references for my ALARA quotes. I've
excerpted some words from a recent msg I wrote that may help. Further
specifics could be easily tracked down (e.g. the ANS statement is PS41).
I'll help if anyone wants further info.

The original was nicely formatted, but since we can't have attachments on
this list (correct?), I'll cut and paste it and hope it's still legible.
Applying Realism to Radiation Protection

Use of Cumulative Radiation Dose as a Measure of Good Practice or of
Casualty Magnitude

NRC uses as a prime measure of the severity of a casualty, or the efficacy
of “good plant operation,” the total collective radiation dose in
person-rems, multiplying trivial individual radiation doses by large numbers
of people to “predict” thousands of induced cancer deaths. That process
has been repeatedly described as scientifically indefensible. Yet we are
told that, in the absence of more data, this is the prudent course. That
contention is wrong on both counts: there is no lack of applicable credible
data and the data show persuasively that low-dose radiation is not harmful.
The use of this unwarranted practice continues to have serious detrimental
effects.

NO CASE HAS BEEN MADE FOR USING COLLECTIVE DOSE FOR PREDICTING DEATHS.
NCRP-121 does not discuss the data showing that low-dose radiation is not
harmful, and concludes that prudence requires us to presume harmfulness. Yet
the report concedes (p.45, emphasis added):
Few experimental studies, and essentially no human data, can be said to
prove, or even provide direct support for the concept…It is conceptually
possible, but with a vanishingly small probability, that any of these
effects could result from the passage of a single charged particle…It is a
result of this type of reasoning that a linear non-threshold dose response
relationship cannot be excluded.

And NCRP-136 follows the same argument, even after stating bluntly (p. 6):
It is important to note that the rates of cancer in most populations exposed
to low-level radiation have not been found to be detectably increased, and
that in most cases the rates have appeared to be decreased.

The two major professional societies, the American Nuclear Society and the
Health Physics Society have also supported this stance in carefully
considered Position Statements:

It is the position of the American Nuclear Society that there is
insufficient scientific evidence to support the use of the Linear No
Threshold Hypothesis in the projection of the health effects of low-level
radiation.

In accordance with the current knowledge of radiation health risks, the
Health Physics Society recommends against quantitative estimation of health
risks below 5 rem in one year.

Both societies agree that:
Below 10 rem…risks of health effects are either too small to be observed or
are non-existent.

Regarding adding up trivial individual doses, NCRP-136 warns (p.58):
The summation of trivial average risks over very large populations or time
periods…has produced a distorted image of risk, completely out of
perspective with risks accepted every day, both voluntarily and
involuntarily.

And Roger Clarke, Chairman of ICRP, wrote (1 Oct 98 at:
http://hps.org/documents/controllable.pdf):
If the risk of harm to the health of the most exposed individual is
trivial, then the total risk is trivial—irrespective of how many people are
exposed.

A practice so universally discredited should not be used as the basis for
national policy.

Ted Rockwell