Re: Natural nuclear Rx @ center of the Earth

>Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:21:45 -0800

>To: RadSafe

>From: "John Johnson" <idias@interchange.ubc.ca>

>Subject: Re: FW: [cdn-nucl-l] Re:  giant natural nuclear reactor at the

>center of the Earth

>Perhaps my memory of the little geophysics I learnt from friends at =

>university is wrong, but I thought that the source of heat in the earth =

>was nuclear, and due many to the decay of uranium. No fission is needed =

>because the heat conductivity is small. It is certainly not a "giant =

>nuclear reactor".

Certainly?  Others used to say that the Earth is certainly not off-center as

far as the universe goes, but those doing the math could prove otherwise.

It's fascinating, I tell ya.  And credible.  A breeder made by God.

Supporting life on Earth as we know it...

She's awesome...

"Hollenbach, D.F. and J.M. Herndon: "Deep-Earth reactor: Nuclear fission,

helium, and the geomagnetic field", Proceedings of the National Academy of

Sciences USA, Vol. 98, no. 20, p. 11085, September 25, 2001.

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/98/20/11085

Abstract:Geomagnetic field reversals and changes in intensity are

understandable from an energy standpoint as natural consequences of

intermittent and/or variable nuclear fission chain reactions

deep within the Earth. Moreover, deep-Earth production of helium, having

3He/4He ratios within the range observed from deep-mantle sources, is

demonstrated to be a consequence of nuclear fission. Numerical simulations

of a planetary-scale geo-reactor were made by using the SCALE sequence of

codes. The results clearly demonstrate that such a geo-reactor (i) would

function as a fast-neutron fuel breeder reactor; (ii) could, under

appropriate conditions, operate over the entire period of geologic time; and

(iii) would function in such a manner as to yield variable and/or

intermittent output power."

Regards,

Jim

--

Hold the door for the stranger behind you. When the driver a half-car-length

in front of you signals to get over, slow down. Smile and say "hi" to the

folks you pass on the sidewalk. Give blood. Volunteer.