Re: Radiation and CVD

Classic!

I taped page 9 of Health Physics News May 2003 onto cover for my "Study

of CRP changes with 1 mrem/hour from uranium ore under mattress vs

placebo". "ALARA Makes No Sense" (Cameron) includes, "British

radiologists (1897-1920) had no decrease in longevity despite having a

75% higher cancer mortality (P<0.001)". "Comment on CT Screening" [CVD

Risk?] (Johnson) seems to promote regulation (and regulators of LDR with

LNT).

Becker would best answer Johnson (establishment) promotion of radon

regulation from his Beneficial Effects of Low Level Exposure (BELLE)

studies in Europe.

About CT and CVD, my own background can add this. My second choice

(before returning to family doctor work) was heart research, such as at

NHI. I stopped plans for a massive HoPoCoBaL (Hormesis Prevention of

Cancer of Breast and Lung) study after data like Cameron's (above)

persuaded me that yearly mammography and chest CT (1 rem) for cancer

screening (paid by insurer bypassing grant process) would mask any

BENEFIT (to women in 60s, 30 pack-year smokers) from a 5 rad chest dose.

Howard Long