Re: Mechanism for low energy DNA damage

My guess is that dissociation occurs in molecules all of the time, and reassociation also takes place just as frequently.  I think that experiments performed in isolation, e.g., cell cultures, uracil molecles, etc., provide some insight into understanding how damages occur.  However, only numerous, cumulative effects may be lead to adverse effects in humans.  The biology is very resilient.

By the way, I have never really considered that chemical effects can be computed and observed at the meV levels.

BLReider@aol.com wrote:
Thank you John.

I wonder if the charge effect that they observed would be the same in Uracil and other bases bound in the molecular environment. I don't know that a conclusion about damage to DNA can be made without more information. Interesting, though.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail: crispy_bird@yahoo.com