RE: respiratory tract dose (HP vs. IH approach)

Jerry, you're right: the question, "what is so special about radiation?" is

key to our problem.  Alvin Weinberg, reaffirmed to me personally last week

his belief that "the Faustian bargain" is the correct model for nuclear.

Nuclear, to him, is in a class by itself, almost beyond human capability to

control.

I told him I couldn't disagree more.  Nuclear follows the same

well-understood laws of nature as everything else.  It is not capable of

uniquely disastrous consequences (I'm not talking about nuclear weapons

here). LNG ships, chemical and oil refineries, even nitrate fertilizers are

demonstrably capable of more destruction.  Not to mention electric power and

communication systems.  Nuclear plants are not unforgiving, hair-triggered

hazards.  They are, in fact, remarkably stable and self protecting.

Of course we should continue to critically monitor and improve our safety

procedures.  But the need is no more critical than for many other systems.

And we must recognize that excessive fear-driven ALARA is not just expensive

and unnecessary, it is seriously harmful. Prescribing that nuclear

casualties require mass evacuations of perhaps millions of people is so

clearly unworkable that it may lead to shutdown of Indian Point, which would

then be followed by others, as anti-nuke forces taste the blood in the

water.

To make all this real, we have to repudiate the extreme scenarios that are

physically unachievable and make clear the limitations imposed by the

physical and chemical properties of the materials involved, that restrict

the release and dispersion of radioactivity from damaged fuel to levels that

cannot cause a public health hazard, even though they may exceed various

artificially-imposed regs.

At least, that's how I see it.

Ted Rockwell