RE: NRC Proposed Fine and Severity Level 1 Violation

It seems to me that the hospital staff may have perceived greater liability in being more intrusive than in letting the family member make an informed choice about getting a few rem.  Is a $6K fine a reasonable cost of doing business compared to a $6M punitive judgment for mental pain and suffering caused by physical intervention in the situation?  This is a serious question.
-----Original Message-----
From: Jose Julio Rozental [mailto:joseroze@netvision.net.il]
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2003 12:27 PM
To: Knapp, Steven J.; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: NRC Proposed Fine and Severity Level 1 Violation

Please look at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/enforcement/actions/materials/ea02248.html

It is clear the reasons for the enforcement

This case is very important  for training :

a) What should be discussed is the level of the enforcement and responsible parties.

b) What is important to discuss is the lessons to be learned to avoid recurrence

c) What is important to discuss also is the responsible parties?  - The Radiation Safety Officer could advice the Director of the Hospital to inform the Regulatory Authority about the dose to visitors  because of  his concern for the patient's rights and for compassion toward the patient and family members.

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze@netvision.net.il
Israel