Re: NRC PROPOSES $6,000 FINE AGAINST ST. JOSEPH MERCY HOSPITALINMICHIGAN FOR OVEREXPOSURE TO A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC

1.  I doubt the patient was physically capable of leaving the hospital on his/her own, even AMA.

2.  The situation described could reasonably be considered to involve a public health issue which would allow the patient to be quarantined. However, that's not the RSO's decision.

3.   I have seen many postings on Radsafe stating that hp's should not be cops, and that applies here, if anywhere. The RSO should not make the decision regarding whether the patient should be physically restrained from leaving.  The RSO's actions should be limited to:  surveys, determining applicable requirements, communicating these requirements to affected parties (including visitors), and notifying management of any violations and the actions needed to restore compliance.  All of this should be documented.  Hospital managment has the responsibility for determining whether to let the patient leave AMA and, if appropriate, calling in security and law enforcement.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.
Curies forever.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com

"Knapp, Steven J." wrote:

I am not a lawyer, but I surmise patients have the right to terminate their medical treatment and go home at any time unless they pose imminent danger to the public.  If a patient goes home, the situation is not monitored.  Where is the consistency in mitigating the radiation risk when the patient is hospitalized versus being at home?  This appears to be a regulatory problem, not a health risk problem.  The NRC consultant stated the radiation health risk to family members was insignificant. The questions still remains, how much control over the patient and family is required before the NRC determines the control is adequate?  Would the NRC have a similar conclusion if an RSO completed the procedures listed in the NRC letter to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital and a noncompliant and informed family member exceeded the radiation dose limit?It is obvious the RSO could have done things to lessen the opportunity for the NRC to find fault, but even if he did, would that have been enough?Steve Knapp, Ph.D.