Von: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu [mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu]Im Auftrag von RuthWeiner@AOL.COM
Gesendet: Montag, 19. Mai 2003 07:00
An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Betreff: Re: [Fwd: [Know_Nukes] (NYT) Navajo Miners Battle a Deadly Legacy of Yellow D...

I will try to make this brief:

1.  I have traveled extensively in the Southwest  including a lot of time on the Navajo reservation (the Big Reservation) .  The rocks and the desert are not  yellow, but the typical orange-red of sandstone.  Sandia (the name of the mountain behind my house) means "watermelon" in Spanish, and that is the color of the mountain in the setting sun.
2.  Uranium minerals come i! n a variety of colors. Uraninite, the mineral generally found in the southwest, has different colors depending on the trace elements present.  Pitchblende (which is black) is a form of uraninite.  Uranium-doped quartz is orange, and looks like dark topaz (I used to have a pair of earrings of U-doped quartz).  "Yellowcake" is almost 100% UO2, and the crystals of UO2 are black (See Hawley's Condensed Chemical Dictionary, 12th edition).

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail: crispy_bird@yahoo.com