Re: Tooth fairy inspired law suit

 Regarding the Toothfairy claims and Florida:

Past studies released by Project Toothfairy in Florida have been reviewed by the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Environmental Epidemiology.

The Florida Bureau, in their 2001 review of the "Toothfairy Report" :  "RPHP claims that there are striking increases in cancer rates in southeastern FL counties and attributes these increases to radiation exposure from nuclear reactors.  Using this data to reconstruct calculations and graphing our findings, we have not been able to identify unusually high rates of cancers in these counties.  As we would expect, just by chance, some county rates appear higher than state and nation trends and some appear lower.  These rates fluctuate from year to year and in some situations, large fluctuations occur with a small number of cases and small underlying county populations.   One has to use careful scientific and objective evaluation of these fluctuations to avoid  misinterpretation.  Careful analysis and observation  of the data presented here does not support the alarming claims made by the RPHP regarding cancer mortality rates and tends in southeastern florida counties when compar!

ed with the rest of the state of Florida and the nation."

 Patricia A. Milligan, CHP, RPh

 US NRC

 301-415-2223

On 20 May 2003 at 8:30, John Jacobus wrote:

> I am always fascinated when you have a cancer cluster of one person.  Where are the others to do an epidemiological study?

Hi John,

While I agree that this lawsuit is frivolous, there does appear to be

a higher incidence of these cancers in around the St.Lucie area. The

state and local government agencies have studied these cancers,

trying to look for a causal relationship, which they have not found.

So, while I don't agree with their conclusion (it's always easier to

go after the nuclear plant), there have been a higher number of

unexpected cancers in the area.

Sandy Perle

Director, Technical

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100  Extension 2306

Fax:(714) 668-3149

E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/