Regulation of machine use

In a recent post, Barbara commented:

"I have a quick caveat to insert here, and that is, if you look at

cardiologists, you may find comparable rates of overexposures from the

procedures they

perform using x-ray producing machines.  We tend to focus on the dangers of

radioactive materials, and forget the dangers of machine use.  I believe

that this

is due, in part, to the fact that we have a comprehensive national program

address RAM use, but that radiation machine use is not so consistently nor

comprehensively regulated."

I would suggest that one reason the States don't spend as much of their

resources on issues related to machine sources  as they should is because so

much of their time and energy is consumed trying to keep up with NRC's

ever-changing requirements for the RAM use programs.

I also think that the issue of "over-exposures" of patients during

interventional cardiology procedures is a sticky issue for health physicists

in that it is so convolved with the practice of medicine.  I, for one, am

unwilling to wade into the question of what's best for the patient.  That is

a purely medical decision and I'd like to keep it that way.  When my turn

comes to be on the fluorotable, I don't want my cardiologist being

distracted by concerns about whether or not some regulator will approve of

his decisions.

Clayton J. Bradt, CHP

Principal Radiophysicist

NYS Dept. of Labor