Re: Uranium in GW correlations w/ Radon, etc.

Hi Eric,

In Colorado we've looked for correlations, but haven't found any that

would impress a statistician.  About all you can say is that where you

find high levels of one (e.g. uranium) you'll probably find at least a

little of the others (Rn or Ra), but trying to predict levels is a waste

of time.  Let us know if you hear different from any other parts of the

world.

Tony Harrison, MSPH

Colorado Dept. of Public Health & Environment

Laboratory Services Division

(303)692-3046

tony.harrison@state.co.us

>>> "Frohmberg, Eric" <Eric.Frohmberg@maine.gov> 05/22/03 02:10PM >>>

Hey all,

I'm a toxicologist with the Env. Tox. Program in the Maine Bur. of

Health.

In Maine we have a problem with U in well water - not a horrible

problem

overall - maybe a few percent of wells above 20-30 ug/l, but what makes

my

palms sweat is the occasional wells in the 2,000+ ppb range.  We know

that

kidney tox is the issue (altho you do get some cancer risk at these

high

concentrations - especially when you take into account

disequilibrium).

(Obviously, we tell them to take corrective actions).

But what I want to look into is correlations between U and radon or

radium

in well water (I should say this is a little bit academic - we have a

radon

issue in Maine as well - our recommendation is that everyone do a

radon

test, there doesn't seem to be a lot of radium in wellwater in Maine).

While I'm waiting for our in house data to appear, I thought I'd ask

the

collective wisdom in radsafe land.  I haven't found a lot in the

literature

that suggests decent correlations (it really seems to depend a lot on

local

geology, etc.). Do any of you have any direct experience or opinions?

In

particular, I'm more interested in correlations between U and radium in

GW

at these higher levels.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric