Cohen's questions

Dr. Cohen,

If you truly think the article below is outside your area of expertise and do

not understand the significance of the study, performed at Johns Hopkin's, to

the quality of your mortality data you use (as compared to SEER incidence

data); please consider discussing both the significance of the article below

and the limitations of your data with an epidemiologist you trust.

Bill Field

Dr. Cohen stated, My lung cancer data are from National Center for Health

Statistics. If those data are no good, why are they collected?

They were never intended for use to test the LNT or to use to "treat"

confounding. However, my point was that the SEER data is more reliable and it

is in very poor agreement with the data you use.  We showed this was clearly

the case with the Iowa data you have never been able to explain.

------------------------------------

Consider this finding:

Arch Intern Med. 2001 Jan 22;161(2):277-84.

Problems with proper completion and accuracy of the cause-of-death statement.

Smith Sehdev AE, Hutchins GM.

Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 600 N Wolfe St,

Baltimore,

MD 21287-6901, USA.

BACKGROUND: Mortality statistics are largely based on death certificates, so

it is important that the data on the death certificate is accurate. At our

institution, clinicians complete cause-of-death statements (CODs) prior to

autopsy. Since May 1995, separate CODs have been included in autopsy face

sheets.

METHODS: Clinical and autopsy-based CODs filled out separately on 494

cases between June 1995 and February 1997 were compared for proper reporting

and accuracy using the published guidelines and definitions of immediate,

intermediate, and underlying causes of death put forth by the College of

American Pathologists and the National Center for Health Statistics.

RESULTS: Of the 494 death certificates, 204 (41%) contained improperly

completed CODs. Of these, 49 (24%) contained major discrepancies between

clinicians' and pathologists' CODs. Of the 494 death certificates, 290 (59%)

had properly completed CODs. Of the 290 properly completed CODs, 141 (49%)

contained disagreements: 73 (52%) on underlying CODs; 44 (31%) on immediate

CODs; and 47 (33%) on other significant conditions (part II).

CONCLUSIONS: The reliability and accuracy of CODs remain a significant

problem. Despite its limitations, the autopsy remains the best standard

against which to judge premortem diagnoses. The CODs of the death certificate

may be improved if death certificates are completed in conjunction with the

postmortem examination and amended when the autopsy findings show a

discrepancy.

What is your response to this study?

-----

Dr. Cohen states that, the issue of measuring radon now to explain lung cancers

presumably due to radon exposures many years ago is present also in

essentially

all case-control studies.

Please understand that non differential radon exposure misclassification in a

case-control study lowers the risk estimates to no association, but in an

ecologic study can produce unbounded bias in a negative or positive

direction.

Dr. Cohen states, "My very extensive studies have shown that nothing except

urban-rural differences correlate strongly with radon urban-rural differences

correlate strongly with radon".

Perhaps you need to more concerned with what correlates with smoking such as

urban/rural differences since that is driving the majority of the risk versus

effect.  I presented a potential way for you to perform the analyses to test

the plausibility of my suggestion (using a Monte Carlo Analyses or a

Sensitivity Analyses), now the rest is up to you.

Sincerely, Bill Field