Re: Radon, smoking and LNT

Dr. Cohen,

As I sure you know that part of the scientific method

is objectivity and the rigorous testing of results.

As you know there have been many false starts in

science base on bad analysis of an experiment.  The

obvious one is the discovery of cold fusion.  Many

physicists questioned the initial results, but the

promise of a new discovery has too powerful of a hold

on others.

Maybe we all need to take a step back and review the

situation calmly.

--- BERNARD L COHEN <blc+@pitt.edu> wrote:

> BERNARD L COHEN <blc+@PITT.EDU> wrote:

> . . .> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, John Jacobus wrote:

> > So, only a physicist can adequately review and

> > criticize your epidemiological work?

> 	--I was responding in a discussion about how

> physicists operate.

> To me, it is obviously the logical way to operate

> and I assumed that all

> scientists operate that way, but recent experience

> on RADSAFE and with Ken

> Mossman have shown me that such an assumption is

> wrong. There are those

> who feel that if things are not done their way, the

> work is wrong. For

> them to reject a novel approach to a scientific

> problem, it is not

> necessary to show that the justification offered is

> faulty, but only that

> it is not the way they do things.

=====

-- John