Re: Radon, smoking and LNT

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Kai Kaletsch wrote:

> From: "BERNARD L COHEN" <blc+@PITT.EDU>

> > The issue of measuring radon now to explain lung cancers

> > presumably due to radon exposures many years ago is present also in

> > essentially all case-control studies. I have given reasons why it is less

> > important in my studies than in case-control stusies.

> Could you please repeat the reasons why the temporal change in radon is less

> important in your study than in case control? (or give the reference.)

	--I have used different time periods for lung cancer deaths and

they give the same results. I have studied variation of radon levels with

age of houses, indicating that radon levels have not changed radically

with date of construction. It is more likely that radon level in a given

house changes with time than that the county average radon level changes

with time -- for example, pathways for radon into and out of the house can

change with cracks opening and closing, or with change in ventilation

practices like opening windows, etc, but these average out for the county

average.