Re: LNT and resources [Was: Scientific responsibility]

It was rather rudely and abstrusely (and privately) brought to my attention

that I may have overstated things in my message below.  In my experience,

hundreds of microcuries (and less) of medical isotopes have been identified at

landfills, scrapyards, medical waste processors and waste transfer stations.

Nonetheless, even 500 microcuries of I-131 on a corn cob, apple core, toothbrush,

and/or kleenex, generated by a radiotherapy patient poses negligible

theoretical risk to the waste collector or landfill employees, and will decay to 500

femtocuries in about eight months.

I challenge someone (no reward) to provide an example of a routinely-used,

remote (i.e., while the waste is still in the truck) detection system that would

detect a hazardous waste entering these same facilities with a comparable or

lower overall risk.

Barbara

In a message dated 7/6/2003 8:25:03 PM Pacific Standard Time, BLHamrick