RE: Medis bias

Susan, et al:

>From my hard experience - Bingo!   A believable quote - one that combines emotion and social responsibility, along with the science - is what it takes. A good quote (some say "sound bite") is an art that takes training and practice to learn.   When developing quotes, it helps to have a passion and belief that the anti's are wrong and irresponsible.  It really helps your quotes when you believe that people like Doug Rokke are not only scientifically wrong, but that they are morally corrupt and irresponsible.  Controlled (and I repeat - CONTROLLED)outrage at these types, will help sell your message.

Here's an example:

Anti-nuclear people want to shut down all nuclear power and take away nuclear medicine.  These things are valuable. Nuclear power and medicine are safe.  I am outraged that [anti-nuclear's name] wants my children to have less of a future than my parents gave me.

This example is controlled, emotional, accuses the anti, and I can defend the safety (science) without any problem.  The controlled part is always the hardest for me - sometimes I want to scream that people, like Rokke, are leech-loving scum suckers and dragging society down. Perhaps you sense my passion?  Perhaps we need more in our profession with this passion?

Larry Grimm, Senior HP

UCLA EH&S/ Radiation Safety Division

*	lgrimm@admin.ucla.edu

*	If this email is not RSD business, the opinions are mine, not UCLA's.

-----Original Message-----

From: Susan L Gawarecki [mailto:loc@icx.net]

Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 11:36 AM

To: RADSAFE

Subject: Re: Medis bias

I've had some interesting discussions about reporting on nuclear issues

with a reporter who covers the DOE beat for the local big city

newspaper.  He claims that he is not supposed to determine "the truth"

nor is he qualified to.  He also notes that his job is to report what

people say on the various sides of an issue.  This reporter is so

non-ideological that he hasn't even formulated an opinion on nuclear power.

I did point out that most of the public gets their scientific

information from media coverage.

The only recourse seems to be to make your quotes more believable than

their quotes.

Susan

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

102 Robertsville Road, Suite B, Oak Ridge, TN 37830

Toll free 888-770-3073 ~ www.local-oversight.org