Re: Medis bias

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Susan L Gawarecki wrote:

> I've had some interesting discussions about reporting on nuclear issues

> with a reporter who covers the DOE beat for the local big city

> newspaper.  He claims that he is not supposed to determine "the truth"

> nor is he qualified to.  He also notes that his job is to report what

> people say on the various sides of an issue.

	--The problem with this is that they give equal weight to

statements by Sternglass, Gofman, etc as to statements by distinguished

scientists. They ask how are they supposed to know who is more credible.

     I always suggest to the Reporter that he telephone a few major

Universities of his choice, ask for a professor of Radiation Health (or

something related), and ask him the questions. I have made this suggestion

to many dozens of Reporters, but I know of no case where they have done

what I suggested.