Re: Comments of First Response Action Levels

Dear Ken,

You raise an interesting question.  Personally, I don't think there is

one "right" setting, because there are different flavors of first responders.

For example, if you have a crew of responders who are going to do an initial

scene search and rescue, it is likely that a) they know that they are going to

encounter radiation and radioactivity b) they are carrying some type of survey

instruments, c) they have some rudimentary knowledge of radiation and

radioactivity (at least as a type of "toxic material") from their HAZWOPR or

similar training.  So, if it is known that they are going to encounter

potentially high levels, you want to alert them to dangerous situations, not

just the presence of radiation.  In these cases, the emergency limits are in

the tens of rem (10 Rem for property; 25 Rem (or greater) for lifesaving); the

reference on this is "EPA 400-R-92-...."  In this case, I'd set up the

dosimeters for:

   Increment:  100 mr

   Dose Rate Alert:   100 mr/hour

   Dose Rate Alarm:  1,000 mr/hour

   Accumulated Dose Alert:   5,000 mr (notification that he/she is in emergancy

dose limit range)

   Accumulated Dose Alarm:  24,000 mr (UNLESS the responder has been approved

for a higher limit (say 50,000) mr); I'd alarm a bit below the limit to permit

some time to escape the area.  I select 24,000 mr as the person is on a search

and rescue (i.e., lifesaving) mission.  If he were doing routine property

protection, then I'd use 9,500 mr.

These are settings for people who KNOW they are entering an area where the

doses are high, and the settings are there to PROTECT the person from harm.

If on the other hand you are setting up the system for the "identify and

contain" responder (e.g., police) or emergency room personnel, your settings

would work just fine, as in these cases the intent is to warn the responder

that there is a radiological component to the event.  However, I would put an

accumlated dose alert at 100 mr (public limit), and the accumlated dose alarm

at 500 mr (10% of the occupational limit), as high doses would not be

anticipated in these cases.  Also, recognize that having a 0.1 mr increment

beep can drive someone looney tune about at about 10 mr/hour, so you might want

to rethink that setting out of compassion for your fellow man.

If you have both types of responders, perhaps you could color code the

dosimeters.  Red could be for the high dose situations, and green could be the

low dose situations.

As a final note, these devices are very useful for alerting and tracking dose.

But keep reminding your responders that they need to have, and know how to use,

survey meters, and encourage them to get some good, basic meters in addition to

the dosimeters.

Jim Barnes

james.g.barnes@att.net