FW: Philly Residents Fight Planned Irradiator

	-----Original Message-----

	From: Jim Hardeman [mailto:Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us]

	Sent: Sat 8/2/2003 8:46 PM

	To: Bruce Bugg

	Subject: RE: Philly Residents Fight Planned Irradiator

	Bruce et al. —

	Yes, employees DID carry contamination home with them ... and several personal items (i.e. clothing, carpet, upholstery, car seats, etc.) were contaminated ... these items were confiscated and disposed of as radwaste. But remember ... this incident involved Cs-137 (as CsCl) sources ... not Co-60 as cobalt metal or oxide. I would think that a Co-60 irradiator would be far less likely to pose an offsite contamination threat ... biggest problem (apparently) is the potential for a source to actually become dislodged and somehow make it out of the irradiator.

	Jim Hardeman

	Jim_Hardeman@dnr.state.ga.us

	>>> "Bruce Bugg" <obbugg@dmvs.ga.gov> 8/2/2003 7:39:07 >>>

	>>and a 1988 leak in Decatur, Ga., that was contained but resulted in several exposed workers spreading radioactivity to their

	>>homes

	I'm sure Jim Hardeman can clarify this, but I don't recall that the workers at RSI in Georgia actually carried any contaminated material home. I was invloved in the RSI Decatur incident, but only from the outside, inspecting some of the Tractor-Trailers that took the Cs-137 capsules back to Hanford.

	Capt. Bruce Bugg

	Special Projects Coordinator

	Georgia Department of Motor Vehicle Safety

	P.O. Box 80447

	Conyers, GA  30013-8047

	Phone: 678.413.8825

	Fax: 678.413.8832