RE: Philly Residents Fight Planned Irradiator

Dear Sandy et al.

Regarding Public Citizen against industrial irradiators:

The actual number of incidents at industrial irradiators over the many

decades of operation represent a very small number by any objective measure

in comparison with other industries. Moreover, of these irradiator accident,

the majority are not related to radiation but are of a mechanical nature, as

one would expect in a highly-regulated industry. A likely example of an

accident would be, say, a pneumatic pusher crushing someone because the air

supplying the pusher was not dumped, in contravention of procedure. There

have been a small handful of radiological incidents in industrial

irradiators in the industry's 40 years. As one would expect, most of these

radiological accidents occurred as a result of tampering with safety systems

and not following procedure in order to gain access to the radioactive area.

Despite the excellent safety track record for industrial irradiators, the

industry continues to evolve, continuously-improving safety.

Public Citizen [an institution of low repute and with no scientific

credentials] goes on to cite a water contamination incident for an

industrial irradiator. While there was one such incident, it did not concern

a Co-60 unit. This incident concerned a specific pool-storage irradiator

which utilized sealed Cs-137 sources. This type of plant (and I never heard

of others) has long been banned in the industry.

Public Citizen argues that "irradiation" could cause cancer. Why is Public

Citizen is non-specific and what does this have to do with a cobalt 60

"irradiator"? They are simply planting the seeds of doubt, using a vague,

meaningless statement, hoping that people draw their own [negative]

inferences. Irradiators are used for the irradiation [e.g., of medical

products]. Irradiation [of humans] may be a cause cancer. So, they hope that

the mind [missing this slight of hand] links the words "irradiator",

"irradiation", and "cancer" [without the intervening qualifiers].

Spin-doctoring easy as 1-2-3!

Public Citizen argues that [Co-60] materials could be used to make a

radioactive "dirty bomb". This is an unqualified and unfounded statement

that runs counter to expert opinion. It is well-established in the industry

that attempting to convert sealed Co-60 sources into a dirty bomb is, in all

practical aspects, highly unfeasible. It is extremely difficult to handle

this material safely without a huge amount of shielding. There have also

been several tests conducted specifically with [non-radioactive] cobalt

sources, all of which point to the inherent safety of this technology. Even

if one somehow managed to breach a [double-encapsulated!] source with a high

explosive, it is virtually impossible to disperse cobalt metal in order to

form the required "radioactive cloud". Terrorists already know this [much to

their chagrin] and that is why they will likely concentrate their efforts

elsewhere.

Are we doing anybody a service in circulating such articles via listerves or

are we acting as accomplices in propagating misinformation? Our discussions

will never form part of a refutation in the popular press.

Grant