Re: Petition to HPS board regarding health effects of radiation [FW]

At 07:05 AM 8/4/03 -0700, Sandy Perle wrote:

>Is there really a difference? For example, if one has an I-131

>treatment for thyroid, do we not say that they are exposed to I-131,

>and not to the radiations emitted from it?

August 4, 2003

Yes, Sandy, there really in a difference.

In the case of an internally deposited radionuclide an exposure to the

radionuclide occurred that resulted in the deposition of that radionuclide

in the body. In that case there was an intake (a type of "exposure" in lay

terms) that can lead to subsequent exposure to ionizing radiation. An

intake of Co-60 into the body might be called an exposure, but living in a

building having radioactive materials in the building materials is best not

called an exposure to a building or to Co-60 in the context of health

physics because it implies potential intake of the material into the body,

which, of course, does not occur. I think it is best to be as specific and

accurate as we can in our terminology.

Otto

Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

Center for Health & the Environment

(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

University of California, Davis, CA 95616

E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

Phone: (530) 752-7754   FAX: (530) 758-6140