RE: First atomic bomb - 58 years ago today

It was my understanding that leaflets were dropped for a few days before the

bombings, but it's always hard to discern the truth after 58 years.

Regardless, the leaflets did exist, and about 5 years ago Bruce Busby posted

on his old website a copy of the leaflet along with a translation provided

by Tosh Ushino.  This was discussed on this list at that time.  I still have

a copy that I printed from that site, but since Bruce left the University of

Michigan the old web address is no longer correct.

If either Bruce or Tosh are still here on the list, perhaps they can tell us

if the file is still available somewhere for those interested.

>From my recollection of the books I have read, Nagasaki was a legitimate

target based on its port facilities and its industries, but it has been too

long ago for me to remember the details.  I used to have access to the

original bomb assessment reports done by the Army of both cities after the

war, and if I have time I will see if I can find them again.  Those were

very interesting, and would certainly contain the information as to what the

Army considered significant targets at the time.

Doug Minnema, Ph.D., CHP

National Nuclear Security Administration

<Douglas.Minnema@nnsa.doe.gov>

what few thoughts i have are truly my own...