Re: [riskanal] Annual Global Warming Debate

Dear Fritz, et al

I was always taught that major objectives of scientific research were prediction and control You have again

demonstrated the inability of global climate science to meet either of these as yet.

I hope that the work continues, but without the sad attempts to impose Kyoto Accords on the world. Kyoyo has

much more to do, in my opinion, with politics and economics -- especially with cutting down the economic

strength of the US vs envious parties elsewhere.

The Global Climate Change dependence on models (which you have noted)  instead of observations is further

vitiated by the following information. This development, though a bit dated, seems to be widely ignored.

This is an amazing turnabout, and Jim Hansen was widely commended for having the integrity to publicly change

his

mind about climate change. One does not often see such phenomena among open-minded(?) scientists!

If I am unaware of some striking new developments in GCMs, I will appreciate being made aware of them.

Maury Siskel           maury@webtexas.com

_____________

In 1988, NASA scientist Dr. James Hansen told a U.S. Senate subcommittee: "It is time to stop waffling . . .

the

greenhouse effect is here....with 99% confidence it is affecting

our planet now." That statement, more than any other, lit

the "global warming fire." Climate change became front-page news. Billions of dollars in research money was

spent to

better understand the atmosphere. Most of the nations in the world met in Kyoto, Japan in 1997 to sign an

accord that

would limit emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2).

But in 1998 Hansen produced a technical paper that included

the statement "the forcings that drive long-term climate

change are not known with an accuracy sufficient to model

future climate." In other words, climate change is so complex

we cannot trust the climate models to give us reliable and accurate predictions. Most climate scientists

(including me)

support the use of computer models to understand and predict climate. But limitations in computer speed and

lack of good observations still hamper the models. Hansen's statement indicated that the models (the same

ones that showed

tremendous warming in the future) may not be reliable.

Last week he went even further. In an article for the

Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (see

www.pnas.org, and look under "Early edition"), Hansen now admits that carbon dioxide from burning fossil

fuels was not

the main because [sic] of rapid warming of the Earth in recent decades. He is optimistic that global warming

can be prevented

"without any economically wrenching actions" because of the growing realization that too much emphasis has

been

placed on the effects of burning fossil fuels. Warming over the past century was NOT mostly driven by CO2,

but by other

gases, such as methane and chlorofluorocarbons, so it should

be "more practical to slow global warming than is sometimes assumed". The growth rate of these non-CO2

greenhouse

gases has declined significantly in the past decade, so "this

could lead to a decline in the rate of global warming, reducing the danger of drastic climate change."