RE: Plasma Torch Cutting

We have done some work with plasma arc cutting in our decommissioning here.

You need to really plan ahead and do some aggressive monitoring to stay on

top of the situation.  Just like anything in D&D characterization is

critical.  When working in any underwater environment you can have

conductivity issues with using the plasma arc systems.  In pool settings,

you also need to have a good means of collecting the small bee-bees formed

when cutting.  Yankee Rowe and several other NPP did a lot of plasma cutting

and might serve as good points of contact.  Some of the plasma cutting

problems in the past have lead some NPP to go more with abrasive jet cutting

for RPV internals cutting as I understand it.

Larry

Lawrence E. Boing

Argonne National Laboratory

Nuclear Engrg Division, Decommissioning Program

9700 South Cass Avenue, Bldg 362

Argonne, IL   60439

Phone 630.252.6729

Fax     630.252.5287