Re: Uranium in dental crowns

Joey,

See NCRP Report 95.  Apparently, uranium was added to

dentures a least a half century ago to enhance the

natural color and fluorscence.  In the U.S., the

highest concentration containing about 0.0440% uranium

delivered an annula dose equivalent to the oral mucosa

of almost 1.3 Sv by alpha particles but the maximum

range is only 30 micrometers in tissue.  For an

average uranium concentration of 0.02%, the beta dose

was about 5 mSv per year.

The beta dose for K-40 in feldspar minerals is 1.4 to

1.9 mSv per year.

--- Joey Michael <joey-michael@UIOWA.EDU> wrote:

> I recieved a phone call from a woman who wanted to

> know about Uranium used

> in dental crowns.  I had not heard of this.  She

> wants to know how to find

> out if her crown has U in it.

> What kind of exposure rate would one expect from

> something like this?  How

> much U was used?  Or is this just some more junk

> science that is scaring

> the general public.

. . .

=====