Re: OUTAGE TRACED TO DIM BULB

Maury,

I do not think that the transmission lines were

regulated.  I believe that they are owned by the

utilities, and are under the same corporated control

as the power generation facilites.

Apparently, this failure of the transmission system

was predicted years ago, but actions were blocked by

the utility companies.  However, for the latest

outrage, see the following article that appeared in

today's Washington Post:

Bush to Back Delay Of Power Grid Plan

 By Peter Behr and James V. Grimaldi

 The Bush administration  intends to side with a

Senate Republican attempt  to freeze a  disputed

regulatory proposal meant to strengthen the nation's

aging power transmission system, which was blamed in

last week's massive blackout, a senior administration

official said yesterday.

 To view the entire article, go to

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A4455-2003Aug16.html?referrer=emailarticle

--- maury <maury@webtexas.com> wrote:

> Yes, it is interesting to note that the failure

> apparently was in the

> transmission line system which is the principal

> remaining totally

> regulated aspect of electricity production and

> distribution in the US.

> Cheers,

> Maury Siskel   maury@webtexas.com

> _______