Re: Paducah CAB Board Resigns in Protest

Yeah, well, Susan, we tried that at Sandia.  At first, Sandia employees like me WERE BARRED FROM THE CAB MEETINGS!  I was in fact elected to the nominating committee for the first CAB, and the committee meeting was held in secret, and I was informed (by the Sandia liaison) that I could not attend the meeting.  When the CAB realized that they had to operate more or less within FACA, my husband, a Ph. D. chemist retired from  DOE/DP, was elected Chair (in spite of the best efforts of the anti-nukes).  He was physically attacked by one of the local anti-nuke CAB members (hit across the face and knocked to the floor), and DOE forced him off the CAB 36 hours later (in fairness, the attacker was also made to resign).  We received lengthy threatening phone calls thereafter from the attacker .

That's not all.  A local "alternative newspaper" the Weekly Alibi, interviewed my husband when he was chair, and thoroughly trashed him (as in "tee hee, the fox guarding the henhouse..."), to the point where they did publish his letter and eventually apparently fired the reporter who had written the story.

When I was asked by DOE to make a presentation at a transportation meeting sponsored by the Fernald CAB, a member of the Sandia CAB falsely accused me of various misdeeds (e.g. ("Ruth was intimidating")and I was publicly and angrily yelled at and denouced by the contractor supporting the meeting and one of the facilitators.  And yes, I got angry.

There's more, but I think this gives a good enough picture.

Maybe some CABs are OK.  Maybe some treat nuclear scientists with civility.  Maybe even with actual courtesy.  Not so the Sandia CAB. It accomplished nothing, by the way, and was primarily a big waste of Federal money.

--

Ruth F. Weiner

ruthweiner@aol.com

505-856-5011