RE: Uranium in dental crowns

Joey:  Your request was timely.  I was about to archive the files on uranium

in dental porcelain.

Back in 1975, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's newly created Bureau

of Medical Devices (BMD) asked the Bureau of Radiological Health (BRH) to

evaluate the use of uranium in dental porcelain. If you will provide an

address I will send a copy of the report published in 1976 and information

on the industry's response. (Incidentally, BMD and BRH merged in 1980 to

become the Center for Devices and Radiological Health.)

Donald L. Thompson, PhD

Center for Devices and

Radiological Health, FDA