Re: defining LDR

Jerry,

And what are the bases for these values?  You "humble

opinion," or some scientific studies that we all can

agree on?  Are these limits for all populations or

some subset, like workers between the ages of 18 and

65?

Personally, I still like 0.5 rem/a (5.0 mSv/a) as the

limit for the general population and 5.0 rem/a (0.05

Sv/a) for occupational workers.

--- Jerry Cohen <jjcohen@PRODIGY.NET> wrote:

>     It occurs to me from recent postings that we may

> not all share the same concept of what constitutes

> LDR "low-dose radiation". Considering the continuum

> of dose levels (from zero to infinity), it seems

> (IMHO) that there should be three distinct dose

> ranges: LDR, IDR (intermediate), and HDR.

>     LDR would be defined as any dose below ~1.0

> rem/a. This could be considered the "hormesis" range

> wherein as doses decrease, the recipient becomes

> worse off from effects of radiation deficiency.

>     In HDR, the "stochastic" range  (>100 rem/a),

> the recipient becomes worse off as doses increase,

> up to and including short-term death.

>     In IDR (1.0 to 100. rem/a) , there is a "wash"

> between harmful and beneficial effects and the net

> effect to the recipient would be subject to

> individual differences in susceptibility, and

> overall state of health.

>    Does anyone have thoughts on this?

=====

-- John