Re: Laymans questions on hormesis and LNT

Cohen's study of almost the entire USA population (via county lung cancer

death rates and samplings on home radon) does approach that MASSIVE data.

Using error bars as 'points" on the curves (not lines,  as in LNT) for

hundreds of cofounders, was a job unthinkable before computers. A total

population study, which I designed and performed to study thyroid deficiency

in schoolchildren, does have control advantages and disadvantages. Mine was

interesting enough to be a "control" for expected rate of thyroid

enlargement when I131 was spread aroung the southwest by bomb tests. As at

Hanford, I am thankful that testing deterred far greater pollution.

The "forest" overview, as from satellite, does give information not

available in meticulous but selective samplings of the "trees", as in the

use of high radon Iowa.

Howard Long