Re: Laymans questions on hormesis and LNT

As I said, the devil is in the details. With new

bioassay techniques, we see more details, but are we

closer to a real answer?  I think not.

We really need to separate the cellular biology from

the population studies.  The latter should determine

the regulations, not the former.

--- BLHamrick@aol.com wrote:

> Standard Time,

> crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM writes:

> My impression from talking to some researchers is

> that

> the determination of risk is not that the DS breaks

> are or are not repaired, but that they are formed at

> all.  That lowers the threshold even more.  The

> concerns are not that cells die, but are mutated and

> before focus points for cancers.

> Okay, this is not at all my area of expertise, but I

> thought what Cary was

> saying was that IF they are not repaired, the cell

> dies, so no big deal, and

> that it is only in the case where a misrepair occurs

> that the risk of cancer

> increases.  So, it is then critical to understand

> the ratio of cell deaths vs.

> misrepairs vs. accurate repairs after a DSB event.

> Barbara

=====

-- John

John Jacobus, MS