RE: 60 minutes - Yucca Mountain

For what it is worth, I do not try to get all of my

knowledge of events from one source.  I also not

expect the first reporting to be the most accurate,

whether it is a breaking story or a researched piece

as on "60 Minutes."  There is always something that is

added, or discovered, or reinterpreted.  As Ben

Bradlee said, "News is the rough draft of history."

"60 Minutes" certainly has its place.  It gets people

to think and respond.  It certainly has influenced the

people on this list.

--- "George J. Vargo" <vargo@physicist.net> wrote:

> Mike is absolutely correct.  60 Minutes is

> entertainment and NOT news.  That

> said, I think that they have contributed

> significantly to public discourse

> in this country, sometimes for good, sometimes not.

> The 60 Minutes

> producers know what buttons to push to get public

> reaction and do their job

> very well.  Some of their stories on topics such as

> flawed or faulty

> consumer products may have even saved some lives by

> getting unsafe products

> out of the marketplace.  Other stories are,

> admittedly, just gonzo

> journalism.

> Yes, I remember the moral outrage that I felt when

> they attacked nuclear

> power in the 1980s. Oh the inaccuracies!

> I try to put some emotional distance between the

> stories  -- and remember

> that  -- they're just stories -- someone's personal

> synthesis of observation

> processed through their own beliefs and biases.

> Personally, I've found some of the recent stories

> about lapses and

> vulnerabilities in homeland security, civil rights

> violations against

> naturalized citizens from unpopular countries, and

> other alleged excesses of

> government, to be timely, thought-provoking and

> certainly worthy of public

> attention.  I still reserve the right to exercise my

> remote!

> George J. Vargo, Ph.D., CHP

> Senior Scientist

> MJW Corporation

> http://www.mjwcorp.com

> 610-925-3377

> 610-925-5545 (fax)

> vargo@physicist.net

=====

"One test result is worth one thousand expert opinions."

Wernher von Braun

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist