Re: transportation event

You bring up an interesting question.  The specified drop test height for a

Type A package weighing less than 11,000 pounds is 4 feet (49 CFR 173.465), so

the package should have easily survived the drop.  It's not completely clear

from the incident description, but it seems that the package failed BEFORE the

syringe was run over. ( The incident describes the syringe being run over, not

the package.  Also, if the intact package had been run over, it's unlikely the

syringe would have been lost.)

The incident description also describes the Tc-99m syringe as being in a lead

pig.  The question:  Is an ammo box qualified as a Type A package when it

contains a lead pig?  i.e. were the tests performed with a comparable pig in

the box?  I would guess not.  My experience is that there seems to be a

widespread misuse of  "Type A" packaging, based on the misconception that, if

the packaging is qualified as Type A, you can use it for anything.

I'm sure there are some Radsafers who use this packaging.  Please look at your

test results.  What did the packaging contain when the package (package =

packaging + contents) was tested?  My guess:  sand.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton

liptonw@dteenergy.com