Re: Tooth Fairy (Project) Comes to Hackensack University Medical Center

November 13, 2003

I hope you indignant Health Physicists in New Jersey are able to contact

your State Representatives and the reporters who wrote the articles

repeating the erroneous statements about the Tooth Fairy Project, and write

letters to your local newspapers rebutting the claim that minute traces of

stontium-90 in teeth (which we all have) indicate releases from nuclear

power plants (which they don't). Apparently this State funding was done

without consulting any professional Health Physicist of knowledgeable

independent scientist. Not only is $25,000 of tax-payer money being wasted,

the public is again being seriously mislead.

These reporters quoted a writer by the name of Joseph Mangano (whom I have

met and with whom I have spoken) as: "Strontium 90 travels through the air

in the form of tiny, yellow metal particles, Mangano explained. The

chemical, abbreviated as Sr-90, enters the body when a person eats and

breathes, and attaches to teeth and bone. It decays very slowly and is easy

to test for, he said. The study will try to determine whether nuclear power

plants, under normal operating conditions, can make people sick."

Otto

	Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP

	Center for Health & the Environment (CHE)

	(Street Address: Bldg. 3792, Old Davis Road)

	University of California, Davis, CA 95616

	E-Mail: ograabe@ucdavis.edu

	Phone:(530) 752-7754, FAX:(530) 758-6140